Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Amy's Bowls Mexican Casserole Gluten Free Review

I've completed three weeks on a gluten-free diet. Without the help of packaged foods and my husband, I don't think I'd have made it this long.

Eating gluten free is so, so hard, but especially for someone who's so physically spent she struggles to walk down the hallway, is on the verge of passing out after every shower, and doesn't possess enough strength at the end of an average day to roll over in bed at night.

With my perpetual brain fog, reading an ingredients list is a challenge. Nevermind trying to plan meals or alter recipes at this stage. It. Just. Isn't. Gonna. Happen.

At least for now.

So here's another of my gluten-free food reviews. I bought this myself and haven't been compensated in any way for what I'm about to tell you.

Amy's Bowls Mexican Casserole


Price: $3.99
Count: 1
Taste: 5/5
Texture: 5/5

The Bad News
As with everything gluten free, it costs more money. Four dollars for a meal that only serves one person? I don't know how much money you make, but for me that's brutal. Chronic illnesses are so freaking expensive, throw special dietary requirements in and...good God.

The Good News
This tastes fantastic. I've always found that Mexican dishes stand up really well to the freezer. This one does too. It doesn't taste like a frozen dinner at all, and when my husband wants to get a burrito from the local Mexican restaurant, I can pop one of these in the microwave without feeling left out or sorry for myself. I think it's that yummy!

The Verdict
Buy this. Serve with pico, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, or whatever you like. (For Cinco de Mayo, I splurged and had a Cayman Jack Margarita*.)


* This drink is "crafted to remove gluten." Not recommended for those with celiac disease, but I tried it anyway without reaction. Don't be stupid like me, unless you're stupid like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment