Monday, February 29, 2016

My Reasonable and Unreasonable Anxiety

For whatever reason, I'm prone to feelings of intense anxiety these days. I lump anxious feelings into two basic categories: Reasonable and Unreasonable. Let me give you a couple of examples. That's probably the simplest way to explain.


Reasonable Anxiety: I am sick, but responsible to a fault. So when people start dumping projects on me at work because our department is short staffed or someone else has just given up, I get a little crazy. I start wondering if they'll ever take me seriously when I tell them I am swamped or if they'll just keep pushing me until I break. My weekends feel like they are shrinking. Forty-eight hours isn't enough time to recover from the week before. I keep my eyes out for other jobs, then worry about starting over.

Unreasonable Anxiety: I'm in public, there are things there, and I think I might die.

No comments:

Post a Comment