Friday, April 15, 2016

Fibromyalgia 101: Tender Points

In my last post, I briefly mentioned my diagnosis and fibromyalgia tender points (also called trigger points). I thought I'd talk a little more about those for anyone new to the whole fibromyalgia thing.

What are tender points?

Tender points are basically areas on the body that hurt like a son of a bitch when they are touched. When suspicious of fibro, doctors like to test the 18 different points on your body (see image.) God help you if you have this kind of sensitivity and your doctor jabs all your tender points with her bony fingers. You might want to take a bite stick to your appointment. These areas of pain are close to joints, but the pain source isn't actually in the joint.

What causes tender points?

No one knows what causes them yet, and anyone that tries to tell you they know what causes them and how to fix them is most assuredly trying to sell you snake oil. Look to medical journals and actual doctors and medical researchers before you get too hopeful that any answers are available.

When pain is mentioned, the first thing doctors look for is inflammation. But with fibromyalgia trigger points, inflammation isn't usually present. So helpful, right?

Tender points seem to be pretty consistent from person to person with fibromyalgia. However, as a patient who hurts every-flippin'-where, I have serious questions about how this poking and prodding can lead to a diagnosis—especially when I hurt everywhere, not just at trigger points (see below).

Do doctors diagnose fibromyalgia from tender point pain?

Mine did. In an ideal world, I think they're supposed to look for other corroborating symptoms and verify that your pain has endured for something like three months. I also hear that they're supposed to check for other points (control points) to see if you scream for mercy when those are poked as well. My diagnosing doctor did not do this. So, your mileage may vary.


No comments:

Post a Comment