Saturday, May 21, 2016

Fibromylagia and Brain Fog

My mind hasn't been truly strong and clear for a couple of years now. Constant pain, stress, fatigue, and crummy sleep take a toll on the brain's ability to keep up.

Plus my job requires intense focus, so when it's quitting time I can almost feel my brain turning to mush. It's not drug side effects, because I'm not on anything for fibro. Just my trusty thyroid meds that I've been on for years and years.

Anywho, it's worth nothing that after a few weeks of being on my gluten-free diet, I felt darn near lucid. But that faded when stress at my job got kicked up a notch and my pain and IBS symptoms increased.

My most recent brain fog story


We finally sold a property in another state after three years of having it on and off the market. (Talk about living a financial nightmare: two homes, two illnesses, and one income.) When the check for proceeds from the sale arrived, I kept putting off taking it to the bank to deposit. It was only written out to me, so it was my responsibility.

Husband: You ready for me to drive you to the bank?
Me: I have all these meetings and work. I'm too tired to shower.

Husband: You want me to drive you to the bank today?
Me: I just can't; I'm exhausted and I don't want to be seen in public like this.

Husband: How about now? You need to get that deposited.
Me: Look at my hair? They don't let people wear hats inside the bank I don't think.
Husband: We can just go to the drive-up teller. You don't have to go inside, you know?
Me: Oh. My. God. That's brilliant. Yes! Let's go.

I get so fixated on one way of doing things that I can't even see that there are other options, let alone try to evaluate them all and pick the best one.

Before my fibromyalgia diagnosis and celiac suspicions, my mind was a wonder. I felt smart and qualified. I miss that person. A lot.

Brain fog, medically speaking


Brain fog is a pretty common complaint for fibromyalgia patients. Sometimes it's severe and can be as life-altering as constant pain and fatigue.

As with most things fibro-related, the jury's still out on why brain fog happens. There are some theories out there about causes though, including:

  • Inability to get restorative, refreshing sleep
  • Abnormalities in cranial blood flow
  • Brain abnormalities
  • Premature aging of the brain
  • Mental distraction caused by pain (brain fog gets worse when pain is worse)
  • Anxiety
  • Stress
  • Sensory overload
  • Medications taken to treat fibromyalgia
I experience the full gamut of brain fog signs. I forget words or can't recall them quickly, get dizzy and lose my sense of direction, am completely unable to multitask, can't remember where I put things or where buildings are located, and am easily distracted. I mean, I know people joke about walking into a room and forgetting why, but I've elevated forgetting purpose and intent to an artform!

Do you suffer from brain fog too?

1 comment:

  1. I love how you wrote, "Before my fibromyalgia diagnosis and celiac suspicions, my mind was a wonder. I felt smart and qualified. I miss that person. A lot."
    That's me too! I felt so in control and at the top of my game in my career. Then as symptoms began, before I was diagnosed of course, I thought I was losing my mind.
    Some days are better than others. But some days I feel stuck in my head with a lot of blank space! ;)

    ReplyDelete