Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Better Way Gluten Free Hamburger Bun Review

Despite not having any confirmation of Celiac Disease at this point, I've decided to go ahead with a gluten-free diet. There was just no way I could sit by and do nothing until my doctor's appointment in July. I mean, I have to work. I have to do something other than lie in bed at night, miserable, suffering, and wishing death would just take me.

Yesterday was Day 4, and my husband the cook and official grocery-getter picked up a few pantry items for me including gluten-free Bisquick mix, King Arthur gluten-free brownie mix, and some Better Way gluten-free hamburger buns.

I'll get to the other items eventually, but tonight was hamburger night, so I'll start with a little bun review. (Wink, wink. Hubba, hubba.)

Better Way Gluten Free Hamburger Buns

Price: $6.89
Count: 4
Taste: 2/5
Texture: 3.5/5

The Bad News
While I complain about these buns, please bear in mind that I am only four days into my gluten-free diet. I still recall what lovely, glutened breads taste like. And in a side-by-side comparison, these don't come close.

They don't have any real flavor to speak of. So they're not gross or anything, but they didn't enhance my homemade BLT burger. In fact, the tastelessness of these buns got in the way of the flavor of everything else in the burger. Also the texture wasn't typical of a hamburger bun (par for the course with gluten-free bakery products). They're soft when you poke 'em, but still a little tough when you try to bite or tear them.

The Good News
Here's the thing though—breads make eating food convenient. If you need something to make your greasy burger hand-holdable, these will do the trick without launching your body into a full-on autoimmune attack.

The Verdict
Personally, I'm likely to skip the buns and just wrap a burger in lettuce or dress it up and have at it with a knife and fork. At nearly $7 for just four of these hamburger buns, my bank account will be better off too.

I was not compensated in any way for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment